Data formatting allows you to perform various functions on the input text of a parameter. Functions such as to customize a text string to be in capital or lower case letters, and format the outputs of dates and numbers.
Data formatting is only available on dynamic text, meaning the part of a text placeholder has been marked as dynamic and a parameter has been selected.
The FORMAT button can be found in the advanced text properties panel, per part of the text that is parameter driven, or dynamic.
To use formatting follow these instructions:
- Click the pencil icon in the text placeholder.
- In the advanced text properties panel change the line of text from Text to Parameter, at the far left of the line.
- A new button called Format appears at the far right of the line of text. Click it.
- From the category drop-down menu click the category you need, for example: Number.
- Define how you would like to format the text depending on the category you selected.
- If you made a mistake and would like to delete the formatting instructions, use the Delete Formatting button on the left.
- Once you're done configuring the format of your text, click OK.
If you need to you can format other dynamic elements of the text by repeating these steps.
Available Formatting Categories
Formatting a string of text means dealing with uppercase and lowercase operations.
- Capitalize - This will show the first letter of a sentence in uppercase.
- Capitalize Each Word - This will capitalized the first character in all words, even the little ones like "of".
- UPPER CASE - This will show all letters of the phrase in uppercase.
- lower case - This will show all letters of the phrase in lowercase.
Formatting a number means adding thousand separators and decimal marking. This means the data you send has to be a simple number. If the data is text and not a number, the render fails.
- Format the number of decimal places that you would like, from 0 to 4.
- Decimal point separator allows you to decide how to mark the border between the integral and the fractional part: comma or period.
- Thousands separator allows you to decide if you would like a comma, decimal or no separator for the thousands.
Formatting a date takes an input date format and converts it to an output date format. There are two drop-down menus and you choose how you are going to send the date, and how you would like it to be displayed in the end. The options are:
|dd MMM||25 Nov|
|dd MMM yy||25 Nov 83|
|dd MMM yyyy||25 Nov 1983|
|dd MMMM yyyy||25 November 1983|
|MMM yyyy||Nov 1983|
|MMMM yyyy||November 1983|
|MMMM dd, yyyy||November 25,1983|
|dd||25 (Day of the month in two digits)|
|yyyy||1983 (Full year)|
|yy||83 (Last two digit of the year)|